Update – “Extremists” Behind Attack On Security Convoy – Sinai Deputy Security Director

“Extremists” were behind an attack on a security convoy in North Sinai which left 11 killed on Tuesday, said Sinai Deputy Security Director Ali Azazi.

Interior Ministry spokesman Hany Abdel Latif told Aswat Masriya that a landmine exploded on the Rafah-Sheikh Zuweid road.

“Extremists dug a tunnel into the road and planted an explosive device inside it,” Azazi told Aswat Masriya. He added that the “extremists” dug a hole in the road to stop the passing vehicles. “When the police vehicle stopped in front of the hole, the extremists remotely detonated the explosive device.”

The vehicle was carrying two offices and 11 concripts, Azazi said.

Police forces and unidentified assailants engaged in crossfire following the explosion, reported state run news agency MENA. Those killed included one officer and ten conscripts.

Two more security personnel were injured in the attack, according to a security source in the North Sinai Security Headquarters.

Egypt’s security forces have intensified their security measures in North Sinai in reaction to repeated militant attacks that target army and police officials, which rose significantly since the military ouster of former President Mohamed Mursi last year.

A fact-sheet prepared by Egypt’s ministry of foreign affairs put the death toll for terrorism acts which took place since January 2011 and until April 2014 at 971, including 664 security personnel.

Source : Aswat Masriya