Two Ansar Bayt Al-Maqdis Members Killed in North Sinai

Two members of Sinai-based militant group Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis were killed on Tuesday following altercations with security forces in North Sinai’s city of Sheikh Zuweid.

Violent clashes took place when security forces were raiding “terrorist” hideouts, resulting in the death of two “terrorists”, security sources at the army said, adding that 25 suspects were arrested while others escaped.

Two police officers and nine conscripts were injured when an explosion targeted a security vehicle in North Sinai’s Arish on Monday, a source at the interior ministry said.

The explosive device went off remotely, the security source told Aswat Masriya, adding that those injured were taken to hospital.

One officer and 10 conscripts were killed last Tuesday in an attack on a security convoy in North Sinai.

Egypt’s security forces have intensified their security measures in North Sinai in reaction to repeated militant attacks that target army and police officials, which rose significantly since the military ouster of former President Mohamed Mursi last year.

A fact-sheet prepared by Egypt’s ministry of foreign affairs put the death toll for terrorism acts which took place since January 2011 and until April 2014 at 971, including 664 security personnel.

Source : Aswat Masriya