Terrorist attack at Egyptian border checkpoint condemned by UN chief

A terrorist attack on Friday at a checkpoint outside the Egyptian border town of Rafah in which more than 20 soldiers reportedly died or were wounded, has been condemned by the UN chief.

Antonio Guterres said in a statement issued via his Spokesperson on Saturday that he hoped those responsible for the “cowardly act” would be swiftly brought to justice.

More from Matt Wells.

The Secretary-General reiterated the UN’s support to the government of Egypt in its “fight against terrorism and violent extremism”, following the attack which according to news reports quoting military sources, left 26 soldiers dead or wounded wounded.

Rafah borders the Gaza Strip, in the northern Sinai Peninsula, where the terrorist group Daesh has been leading an insurgency against Egyptian authorities.

Daesh claimed responsibility for the attack, and the Egyptian military said that around 40 terrorists had been killed during the assault.

The UN Security Council also issued a Press Statement condemning the “heinous and cowardly” terror attack “in the strongest terms”.

The statement added that terrorism in all its forms, “constitutes one of the most serious threats to international peace and security”.

Source: United Nations Radio