Security Casualties of Sinai Checkpoints’ Attacks Rise to 30 – Military Source

The number of casualties of attacks on security checkpoints in North Sinai on Wednesday rose to 30 security personnel, a military source said.

Casualties ranged from deaths to injuries.

Twenty-two “terrorists” were killed in clashes which followed an attack on five security checkpoints, said armed forces spokesman Mohamed Samir in a statement. Samir meanwhile reported 10 casualties “so far”, also ranging from deaths to injuries.

Clashes remain ongoing, Samir said.

Security forces sealed off the al-Arish-Rafah Road following the attacks, police sources said.

Armed assailants attacked military checkpoints in Sheikh Zuweid with mortar shells and heavy weaponry. Security forces were soon to respond, as both sides exchanged fire, the sources said.

Gunmen also attacked the Sheikh Zuweid Police Station with firearms, sources said, adding that security forces quickly responded, forcing the assailants to retreat.

Militancy inside Egypt has seen a significant rise since the military ouster of Islamist president Mohamed Mursi in July 2013, which was prompted by mass protests against his rule. Most attacks occur in North Sinai, targeting security forces. The attacks have left hundreds of security personnel killed.

Attacks have expanded to other parts of the city, including the capital.