FJP deputy rejects roadmap as mass protests called

Vice-head of the Muslim Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice Party Essam al-Erian has renewed his rejection of the roadmap launched by the armed forces following the overthrow of Islamist president, Mohamed Morsy.

Erian stressed the importance of restoring legitimacy, Egypt's suspended constitution, and the recently dissolved Shura Council and Cabinet, claiming the steps – part of a Morsy-proposed roadmap – represented the only feasible direction to take the country in.

On Friday Tens of thousands of Islamists supporting Morsy staged mass rallies and marches across Nasr City, Salah Salem Street and reaching Ramsis Square to voice their demand that Morsy be released and reinstated as the country's president.

"No one person, one elite group and military organization will impose its decision on the people," Erian said in a Facebook posting, adding, “no foreign, regional, European or American force will decide on behalf of the people.”

“People can have dialogue, differences, agreement freely in the society, parliamentary councils, on TV channels and media. The decisions are taken at constitutional level and sometimes in public referendum,” he said.

Leading members of Morsy's party have meanwhile called for mass rallies across Egypt Monday, hours after tens of thousands took to the streets in peaceful protests.

Interim Prime Minister Hazem el-Beblawi is expected to swear in a new cabinet next week to enforce the army-backed "roadmap" to restore civilian rule. The military overthrew Morsy, the country's first democratically elected president, on 3 July.

Morsy's party has rejected all political process since then.

"Next Monday a bigger crowd, God willing, in all the squares of Egypt – against the military coup," Erian said on his Facebook page on Saturday.

"Egypt decides through the ballot box, through protests, and mass rallies and peaceful sit-ins."