Egypt keen on international disarmament efforts – FM Minister

Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry asserted Egypt’s keenness on continuing its active and constructive participation in global disarmament efforts, saying that Cairo is ready to make more contributions to render successful the 2020 Review Conference of the Parties to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT) in a way that preserves its credibility and internationality.

His remarks came during a meeting held Wednesday with United Nations Under-Secretary-General and High Representative for Disarmament Affairs Ms. Izumi Nakamitsu at the end of his current visit to New York to attend meetings of the G77 and China, Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ahmed Hafez said in statements to the press.

Shoukri welcomed at the beginning of the meeting the UN official’s role in bringing the nuclear nonproliferation and disarmament issues to the forefront of the international organization’s agenda, Hafez added.

He praised the relevant agenda of the UN secretary general which was put forth in May last year for its acknowledgement of the pressing need for reactivating disarmament measures at the regional and international levels and the support it showed to efforts to make the Middle East region an area free from all weapons of mass destruction, the spokesman said.

According to him, Shoukri pointed to calls on the UN chief to convene an international conference on a WMD- free Middle East, asserting the importance of an active role of the UN secretariat general in making good preparations for such a conference and promoting wider security in the region.

He said that Ms. Nakamitsu lauded the role played by Egypt in backing the UN disarmament nuclear nonproliferation efforts, saying she looks forward to continuing consultations with Cairo on major challenges to the international nonproliferation regime.

Source: State Information Service Egypt