Defendant confesses to committing Rafah 25-victim attack

A suspect who was previously arrested has confessed to killing 25 Central Security recruits in the brutal crime that took place on Arish-Rafah Highroad on 19 August, said a security source at the North Sinai Security Directorate.
 
The 25 soldiers were heading to a security camp riding two vehicles when they were stopped by attackers and ordered to get down from the vehicles and were shot, execution style.
 
The defendant Adel Mohamed Ibrahim, better known as Habbara, role-played his crime showing how he killed the victims with the help of other gunmen.
 
Investigation is still underway as the defendant must still name his accomplices, the source said on Saturday.
 
Habbara was a fugitive running from a life in prison verdict in the case of the bombings in Taba and Dahab. He was arrested on Sunday evening in possession of hand grenades, accompanied by two other suspects.
 
Head of North Sinai Security Directorate told al-Masry al-Youm that the defendant belongs to al-Qaeda, although originally from the Sharqiya directorate, and had led the attack on the 25 killed soldiers in Rafah.
 
Since the ouster of Islamist President Mohamed Morsy Sinai has witnessed a series of terrorist attacks that have targeted security forces, leading to the deaths of dozens of security members in addition to terrorist elements.
 
The Muslim Brotherhood are widely accused of being affiliated to these attacks.
 
Edited translation from Al-Masry Al-Youm and MENA