Authorities confident of single shooter in US tragedy: police

Authorities confident of single shooter in US tragedy: police

A wreath lays at the U.S. Navy Memorial to honor of the Navy Yard shooting victims, September 17, 2013 in Washington, DC (Drew Angerer/Getty Images/AFP)

A wreath lays at the U.S. Navy Memorial to honor of the Navy Yard shooting victims, September 17, 2013 in Washington, DC
(Drew Angerer/Getty Images/AFP)

AFP – US authorities probing the shooting spree at Washington’s Navy Yard, which left 13 dead and eight injured, said Monday that a lone gunman carried out the killings.

“We do now feel comfortable that we have the single and sole person responsible for the loss of life inside of the base today,” stressed Police Chief Cathy Lanier, adding that they would keep the public updated.

The remarks came hours after authorities said they were searching for two suspects and urged Washington residents to stay in place until the search ended.

Lanier announced that the “shelter-in-place” warning to residents had been lifted as the authorities were satisfied there were no suspects on the loose.

Police have identified the alleged lone gunman as Aaron Alexis of Forth Worth, Texas, who served in the Navy from 2007 to 2011 before becoming a defense subcontractor for computer giant Hewlett-Packard.

He was killed in an exchange of gunfire with police.

Separately, a US defense official told AFP the suspect had gained access to the Navy Yard through legitimate means.

The post Authorities confident of single shooter in US tragedy: police appeared first on Daily News Egypt.