Egypt’s Interior Ministry “Foils Terrorist” Attack On Luxor Tourist Site, No Tourist Casualties

A suicide bomber attacked on Wednesday a tourist site in Egypt’s Upper Egyptian city of Luxor, in an attack which left the bomber and a gunman killed, security sources said.

The Interior Ministry announced on its official Facebook page that security forces were able to “foil a terrorist operation” in Luxor. The ministry said it killed two “terrorists” and injured the third.

The attack targeted a tourist bus near Karnak temple in the tourist city south of the country, reported the state news agency MENA. The attack left no tourist casualties.

The suicide bomber was accompanied by two other assailants who fired at security forces guarding the site, a security source said. The incident also left a police personnel injured.

Health Ministry Spokesman Hossam Abdel Ghaffar told Aswat Masriya four individuals were injured in the attack and transferred to two hospitals in Luxor. One of them later died due to his wounds.

The Health Ministry official could not determine whether the casualties were civilians or assailants.

Bombings and shootings targeting security forces have surged since the military ouster of Islamist president Mohamed Mursi in July 2013, following mass protests against his rule.

Most attacks first occurred in the Sinai Peninsula, yet they have crawled into other parts of the country, including the capital.

Last week, unknown assailants attacked and killed two tourism policemen in an archaeological area near the Giza Pyramids in Cairo.

Luxor was the setting of a deadly terrorist attack in 1997 which left 62 people killed, including 58 foreigners.

Source : Aswat Masriya